Lead Platform Engineer
ABOUT THE ROLE
Fresh8 Gaming is hiring for a Lead Platform Engineer to help define and advance the platform underpinning our high-traffic live services. Our goal is to ship products fast without compromising on quality. The platform team works closely with the product delivery teams to decide on provided capabilities, how to scale with traffic, and prioritisation of areas that give us the greatest value.
This is a hands-on operations position, with tasks including custom automation, platform improvements, and technology exploration. As the platform team grows, you will support and mentor other platform engineers and display excellent technical leadership. We primarily utilise the Google Cloud Platform and are interested in moving from Compute Engine to GKE.
Our philosophy is to use the right tool for the job, updating our Tech Radar frequently to track our interest in existing, new and emergent technologies. At present we’re evaluating a move towards a containerised environment to enable us to meet our goals of moving fast, while also reducing infrastructure costs. We’re also investing time building out our CI/CD pipelines to minimise manual toil within the delivery teams.
We’re about collaboration and openness, with a fairly flat team structure. We’re fast moving and we iterate and ship code fast. Your work will help us continue to create great software and ensure we have complete site reliability and effective scaling. We offer a strong technical challenge and ongoing personal development from the many business goals ahead. We believe in open source and contribute wherever possible, check us out on GitHub.
- Continuous delivery and 100% automation in Terraform and Ansible for our various environments
- Investigating migration of our microservices to a containerised environment
- Scaling caching and data storage in an intelligent and cost-effective way
- Introducing workflows for postmortems, error budgeting and incident reports
- Defining principles and practices around platform capabilities to enable delivery teams to work independently and ship products quickly
- Experience of working within a Platform Team
- Experience of working with event driven, microservice based architectures
- Setting up and/or leading communities of practice
- You're ready to shape and run Site Reliability operations for high-traffic production services
- Understanding of continuous delivery and deployment pipelines
- Experience of working within an iterative, agile context
- Experience of pair programming with engineers would be beneficial
- Coaching delivery teams and championing DevOps practises across the entire software lifecycle
- Work closely with the Product Owner and Engineers to help define platform capabilities with a focus on delivery speed and stability
- You can articulate the value of improvements within platform engineering for operational benefit
- You have experience of containers and container orchestration platforms
- You're comfortable delivering platform capabilities to multiple engineering teams, utilising tools such as: Kubernetes, Helm, Nomad, Istio, etc.
- You automate effectively, with strong scripting skills in languages such as: Perl, Python, Ruby, Shell, Tcl etc.
- Pick things up quickly, excellent troubleshooting skills and comfortable to take the lead
- You may be considering other senior DevOps jobs in Bristol or London such as: Automation Engineer | DevOps Engineer | Infrastructure Engineer | Site Reliability Engineer etc.
Our reward and benefits culture
- We pay our team competitively and regularly review salaries to reflect the changing market and development of our colleagues.
- Our benefits are focused on supporting all staff no matter their priorities and include:
- Flexible working practises, most of the team work from home one day a week. We care about the job you do not where you do it from
- Get some well-deserved rest with 25 days holiday + bank holidays
- A generous hardware budget to help you choose the right tools for the job
- Pension scheme with matched contributions
- Health insurance which includes dental cover, Gym and other health related product discounts
- A Perkbox account with all the goodness and discounts that come with it
- Team outings and inter-office socials, we have offices both in Bristol and London
ABOUT Fresh8 Gaming
Fresh8 is a totally unique and innovative technology business, offering - what could be called a “Next Generation” product for world leading gambling operators and publishers.
We’re constantly breaking new ground in sports betting advertising, by offering a game changing range of automated tooling across display, programmatic, affiliate, social media and video channels that instantly connect sports fans with personalised bets.
Through the use of our advertising tools, we’re helping clients including The Telegraph, Marca.com, SkyBet, William Hill and Ladbrokes Coral to more efficiently acquire new customers and increase yield from existing customers.
We have grown to a team of over 40 strong staff across offices in Bristol and London.
Since 2014, we have landed a series of awards including Services Rising Star at EGR B2B Awards and have recently landed a new injection of funding to continue our rapid growth.
Do you have a LinkedIn account? Import your resume and save time!